Monday, October 6

Aunt Lori's Book

So I have wanted to do more reading...but just haven't been motivated. Between Taelyn, Jon (and the time I spend tutoring him for his math) and our illnesses (just starting week 2 of being sick as a family) I just haven't made time these last few months. Being that this is the last month at our current address, I probably won't have much time within the next 4 weeks either. So why am I posting? Because I think I just found motivation to read a book. In fact, I think I'll go buy it on the way home from work. Why? Because Aunt Lori talked about her new book at the Woodland reunion we had back in August. I just heard it advertised on the radio (I listen while at work). I'm excited to see what she has compiled from the firesides she has given. I'll let you know what my thoughts are after I finish it.

6 comments:

Tamaran said...

We read chapters 1-5 last night (Jon wanted to read it too-so we are reading it together). It is an easy read. There was one paragraph that we were a little confused about. As far as church history goes, I have learned several things that I did not previously know. No big deal? I agree, I'm not a church history buff...but Jon is, and he didn't know them either! More updates to come as we get farther along in the book.

Us Lochers said...

So is it story form or tidbits of information....

Tamaran said...

Ummm...yes. How is that for an answer? It is history in story format with lots of quotes from various sources. We read about her childhood, courtship and early marriage-up to the point where they are getting ready to move to Harmony to be with her family and escape persecution.

Here is an official description (from Deseret Book website):

Revered as “an elect lady” and denounced as a “damned liar,” Emma Hale Smith had a life full of contradictions — trials and triumphs, sorrows and strength, fears and faith. Raised in a well-respected family, she gave up everything to marry a poor, uneducated farm boy. Her unwavering support of the Prophet Joseph through intense persecution and suffering is legendary, and although she lived in relative comfort and security in her later years, Emma’s life continued to be laced with tragedy and heartache.

This well-documented narrative provides a personal glimpse into the life of a woman who remains one of the most mysterious and misunderstood women in Church history today. With beautiful full-color illustrations by renowned artist Liz Lemon Swindle, the story is told using many first-person accounts. Readers will gain valuable insights into the remarkable life and character of Emma Hale Smith.

Tamaran said...

Jon says it is a biography.

Tamaran said...

So I lied on my first comment. We only read chapters 1-4. Last night we did 5-8. Did you know that someone other than the 3 witnesses was shown the gold plates by Moroni? Did you know it was a woman? I had no idea. Jon, of course, already knew. This book sure has sparked some good discussions between us.

DyeFam said...

Ok-so you totally have me wanting to get that book. I will have to look for it. Your blog about Taryn is awesome and so sweet. I love sisters! What an awesome big sister you are to do that for her.