Wednesday, June 10

HFMD?

So the daycare called me on Monday to let me know that Taelyn had a fever of 102.7. I called our pediatrician's nurse, who said to taker her to a KidsCare or bring her in to see the doctor on Tuesday. We decided we wanted to have her looked at asap, so took her to the KidsCare.

Turns out she has a virus, the one that causes hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). I was confused because the doctor never said she has HFMD, just a virus. Anyway, the doctor said no daycare for 72 hours. Jon and I have been working out a schedule so that we can both be at work when needed, and still keep Tae covered. It has worked out well.

She is relatively happy, but has been sleeping a lot. The doctor said she probably wouldn't get anything on her hands or feet, but mostly mouth sores. For this reason, they are concerned about her staying hydrated. She has been eating fine, and drinking lots of milk and water. The doctor said to give her popsicles, which she loves (but are SO messy). The worst is the fevers, and we feel like her temperature is a yo-yo. We have been giving her children's Motrin (the children's Tylenol didn't do anything), but we still have been getting up to 101-102. When her temperature drops, we are just below 100.

4 comments:

Meadow said...

Poor thing (all of you). It sucks when the kid is sick. Hopefully, her hoofs and mouth will be okay.

You may want to try the slow melt popsicles, they also come in the smaller sizes. I think they have gelatin or something in them, but they really do melt slower.

Us Lochers said...

Yeah.... the weird things that go around at the daycare. I remember when Alyssa got down there... freaked me out, but she just had a weird rash on her arms and legs. No fevers. I guess for that I was lucky.

Best of luck getting that fever under control. When the baby isn't happy, nobodies happy.

☆jeff&leawoodland☆ said...

that sounds not fun at all! i hope that she will get feeling better soon! It is so hard to have a sick baby! hope things get better! love you

Nicole said...

Poor baby! Aw! How can I help? You just let me know and I'll do it/be there!