Wednesday, December 2

" My country tis of thee.." part 2

As I thought of all the things this family and their friends had gone through to get to America I was truly surprised to see such optimism and happiness. They are some of the happiest people I have ever met.

As we were discussing the trials one of them mentioned how happy they were to be here where they do not have to worry about a corrupt dictator. Some one said how nice it was to have a good goverment. The bishops wife laughed a little and said " yeah right ".

When I heard that I thought about Tamaran and I getting married and moving to Salt Lake. We had no papers to take with us, as we changed counties there were no military check points and we were not required to bribe anyone to keep from being thrown in jail or worse killed and tossed in the woods. It was and is remarkable to me that here in america we worry about poor wages, higher taxes, illegal immigration, a President we may not agree with, nationalized healthcare, when will social security run out. These are our big concerns. The general fall out for these things being taxes that are a little higher, a car we have to drive a little longer, maybe a smaller house, or oweing the doctor or hospital some money for a while until we get our medical bills paid off. Three years from now We will choose who our next president will be. Less than one year from now we will decide who gets to go to congress, or the senate. There is no risk of General Gates leading the military down the streets of D.C. to take up residence in the whitehouse, or having our senate and congress dissolved under martial law. We may have to go with out for christmas but we will not have to sit in the fetal position for three days hoping that the boat we are on can handle the next wave, and this after selling every single posession we have to pay some one to smuggle us into a foriegn country.
At this time of year I am grateful to be an American, and whatever he may be I am grateful for our President and representatives, they are just that, OURS! Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Tamaran said...

I appreciate Jon posting this. There are a few spelling/grammatical errors that make me cringe-but I can overlook them. I had planned on posting my thoughts about the dinner and conversation we had with our Burmese friends, but haven't had time. I'm grateful Jon did.

We really are so blessed. I'm grateful for the freedoms that we enjoy (and often take for granted). I'm grateful for the opportunity that we had to be reminded of it by these humble Burmese refugees that are so full of love for our country and the privileges that they now have.

☆jeff&leawoodland☆ said...

i cant even think of what to write... that really does make you think about how blessed we are to live here.

thank you for sharing :)

Fig said...

Yay, Jon should post more often! Not that Tamaran's posts aren't good. You can both post. :-)

Really good, loved it.

Kathy said...

Jon, that is pretty special. Thanks for sharing. As for our country......well, we'll see how long it is. Love, you.