Wednesday, December 2

"My country tis' of thee..."

I don't usually (in fact I don't think I have ever) post on the blog, however given the nature of the season I wanted to share a few thoughts...something I am very grateful for.

If you are reading this you are aware that Tamaran and Tae and I have been working with a wonderful family from Burma (formerly Myanmar). I had the wonderful opportunity to share not only my witness of the gospel but to baptise our friends the day after Thanksgiving.

The following Monday we were invited to thier home along with the Bishop and his wife to enjoy a dinner with them. We were it seems to be guests of honor. I have never seen such spread or a display of gratitude. We were invited to sit at their small table that had been filled with different types of sushi and some traditional entree's. They with some of their friends sat around us one serving, others making conversation, all insisting that they had already eaten or would eat later.

As we talked we discussed how they had come to be refugees in America and what it was like for them in Burma. Some things we were already aware of, others were new and helped me gain a different perspective on the "good ol' US of A".

Our friends are part of an ethnic group/state called chin. In their country the chin state is the only christian part of their land in a majority Buddhist country. Almost everyone who is chin is christian. Being in the minority has left them at something of a disadvantage. In their country They are relegated to the bottom most rung of society. Some are used as slaves or near slaves to the military, others required to work in the dangerous jade and ruby mines, some are farmers, and any who try to flee to neighboring Thailand run the risk of being hunted down and killed by the current military establishement, provided they don't drown first trying to take a shortcut on an overloaded refugee smuggling boat .

Once in Thailand or Malaysia, where there are refugee camps, they can apply to go to an asylum country, countries like America who are willing to open their doors to the displaced.

1 comment:

mike & teresa said...

Thanks for sharing! Awesome experience!