Thursday, May 20

Pregnancy Details

We are due October 20th and are now at 18 weeks. We go in for an ultrasound next week and have been counting down. I really want to know what we are having so that we can start trying to make it a little more real for Tae (who is convinced we both have babies in our bellies). And I want to decorate-but need to know if I can keep it all pink or if we need to add some other colors. When anyone asks what I want, my response is ‘a baby’. We really have no preference. We’ve just been praying for a healthy baby.

I’m surprised at how baby hungry I got before getting pregnant. I’m so grateful for that; otherwise, I don’t think I would have been able to get over my fears and jump again. Really, I was the holdup on adding to our family. Jon was ready for another one the day we brought Taelyn home.

I’ve been asked a lot how this pregnancy is different than the first and if it was harder or easier. I honestly don’t know. I don’t remember a lot from the first time around…which is totally why I’m pregnant again. I haven’t been nauseous, but have been dealing with morning sickness. Yes…still. Every. Single. Morning. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve gotten sick later in the day. Seriously, mornings are easy: I’m at home, proper facilities are very accessible, and I haven’t eaten anything yet. I do remember getting sick – at all times of the day – the whole pregnancy – in every location imaginable – the first time around. Really, mornings are easy.

I think I'm far more exhausted this time around. Jon says I was more tired the first time around. Who knows. ‘Baking’ a baby is terribly exhausting work! I’m sure having a toddler to chase adds to the exhaustion. The first time around was nice because I could go home after work and crash for as long as was needed. I’ve learned I can’t do that now. I wind up with a little hand (two of the cutest hands in the world – might I add) on each cheek, her nose an inch from mine, with her loudly telling me “MOMMA. WAKE. UP.”

We've had a few bumps along the way. During the first prenatal exam, the midwife found a couple lumps in my breasts. Because of being pregnant, they couldn't do a mammogram. It was an emotional few days before we had the ultrasound and found out that everything is fine. About a week later we found out that I have anti-antibody issues, which can cause hemolytic disease of the newborn (a condition in which antibodies in a pregnant woman's blood cross the placenta and destroy her baby's red blood cells). For now I go in every 4 weeks to have the anti-antibody levels checked. I’ll have to go in more often as I get farther along. As long as I stay below 1:16, whatever that means, we are fine. If not, I have to be referred to the Maternal and Fetal Medicine clinic. If I understand everything correctly, if that happens I have two options: deliver early (if I’m far enough along), or blood transfusion into the umbilical chord. Because of the way I am, I want to know what my levels are. Apparently that isn’t how the blood tests work. It only lets me know if I’m still in the safe range…or not.

I think I’m more excited about the ultrasound next week because of the anti-antibody issue. I just want to know that everything looks good and the baby looks healthy.

5 comments:

Jayson & Chelsey said...

Baking a baby is definitely hard work and exhausting! That was my biggest thing through the first trimester.
Do you watch The Office? There is an episode when Dwight talks about the power and control a tiny little (he calls it a fetus) can have over a woman. Haha, its actually funny because of how true it is.

Nicole said...

No kidding it's hard work! Good luck with the ultrasound! Everything will turn out fine. :) Keep us posted! (and let me know if I can do anything for you)

nersey said...

I remember you pregnant with Tae and you made it look easy and effortless. The 2nd pregnancy is MUCH worse because those precious naps are over.
You are such a cute Mommy I only wish we could enjoy this pregnancy together too. I am sure everything will work out perfectly with your baby!

Holly said...

Hey girly! Thank you so much for forwarding me that from your friend. I'm so frusterated. Miss Khloee is doing ok. Yesterday was the first day on this Elecare formula and it was a day from hell to say the least. It is so nasty! Poor thing hates it and doesn't know why breast milk has all of a sudden been taken away. She has started to eat a little now that we've starved her but thats been hard to watch since she's only 12.5 lbs at 5 1/2 months. Hopefully today she will eat all feeds, she did a lot better this morning. We are also adjusting from 10-12 poopy diapers a day to only 2 yesterday on formula. Poor girl just cries when she goes. Today is a new day and we're hopeful to get some answers. Thanks so much for your advice and concern.

How is the pregnancy going? I read your post and I'm praying everything goes smooth for you guys! As long as there is nothing dramatic (expect the unexpected w/ these two) we are planning on Red Fleet. So excited for everyone to meet these sweeties!

Kael and Katy said...

I'm so glad you are having another one! How fun. I'm so sorry to hear that it's been a bit rough from the get go, but you will be just fine! can't wait to hear if baby is a boy, or girl!! How is everything going? I just read about how you guys met also, LOVE it it's so great! ha ha you are so fun, I hope you are having a good time, and your little girl is the cutest, she will be such a cute big sister!!