Friday, October 16

RS Cooking Class 6

I just realized that I have still not posted classes 3-5. I've fallen behind and let my blog go! In an attempt to remedy that, let me post this. It was last night and I actually have the 'recipe' still in my purse.

The recipe is for Tapioca Cake, a traditional Micronesian dessert. We were all a little confused when the women (mother and daughter) teaching weren't sure on the cooking temperature or time. They explained (the daughter translated) that they make it in the community 'oven' that the men made with stones. I can totally understand how converting the recipe from the traditional method was a little difficult. This dessert was a hit and everyone in attendance enjoyed it. I highly recommend trying it sometime.

Tapioca Cake
1 bag Frozen Grated Cassava (They couldn't find a Micronesian store, but they found this at the Asian market around the corner. This is the tapioca-that they usually grate and make from scratch)
1/2 cup water
1/2 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cream cheese frosting (they used Pillsbury brand. Strawberry frosting is also often used)
1 cup coconut milk
Start with the Cassava in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Add one ingredient at a time and stir until creamy before adding next ingredient *. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a metal cake pan.

*If you double the recipe, add sugar to taste (up to 1 cup)

No comments: