Friday, June 6

Time flies when...

Wow! Time sure does fly. I'm not sure that I would say that it has all been 'fun'... but it sure has been an interesting experience.

So I assumed that I would blog a ton. I haven't had a chance to take pictures or send out thank you cards and birth announcements. I had no idea that I would be too physically and emotionally exhausted to do much of anything this last month.

This week we had our 1 month appointment. Taelyn got her Hep B shot and was weighed. When we went in for our 2 week appointment, she had dropped from her birth weight of 7 lbs 12 oz to 7 lbs 1 oz. On Tuesday, her weight was up to 8 lbs 11 oz. She looks like she has grown so much. I'm so glad she was as small as she was at birth. I think about Colton, Truck and Taryn who were all 8 and 9 pounders and I cringe. I think about Darla's first who weighed over 10 pounds... I can't imagine giving birth to her at this size, let alone larger!

After her Hep B shot, I hadn't thought to give her anything. She started being very fussy and lethargic. She is such an angel and her behavior was very uncharacteristic. It worried us. I called the doctor and they had me bring her back in yesterday. Dr Cox (our wonderful pediatrician) said everything looks fine. Talk about a scare. She is acting much better today.

Well, as far as having a baby goes, I only have one gripe. No one really talks about how difficult it is!! I only had one person mention it, my cousin Amy. When Amy had her first, I asked her how it was. Her response surprised me. She said, "It's SO hard! It's so much fun... BUT IT'S SO HARD!" I thought that was interesting. At the baby shower, the advice she gave me was "It gets better". I thought it can't really be that bad. I'm grateful for Amy's comments. They made me realize that I'm not awful for feeling so wholly overwhelmed this last month. I'm grateful for Darla, Nancy, Travis and Melissa, and random strangers that I get to have conversations with: for Emily, who I met while we were feeding our babies in the mothers lounge at a wedding reception; and for Stephanie, who is in the YW presidency in the 4th ward and I met while I was at the church Tuesday night waiting for Jon to do interviews.

I will admit one thing. I have a whole new outlook on motherhood. I can not express just how much more reverence I hold for the divine role of Motherhood. I find myself more in awe of all the amazing mothers around me. I am more grateful for my own mother and all that she has done and sacrificed for me and my siblings. I'm sure that as our little one grows, I will only continue to develop a greater appreciation for this new road I am traveling and for all those who have made the journey before me.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Tamaran,

That was very well said... When Ryan got his patriarchal blessing about a year ago, the patriarch said something like, "You chose the parents you did because you knew they would love you....always remember your mother...she went into the valley of the shadow of death for you......" I could not contain myself emotionally - partly because I had felt stuck in that valley more than once, and I knew I would do it over again for him - it was all worth it, and how much I loved him.

Welcome to this side of the fence. :)
Love, Tami

Us Lochers said...

Being a mom is hard.... especially right at first, when all your hormones are out of whack and your constantly on an emotional roller coaster.

I had a hard time until Alyssa was about 3 months. She was sleeping through the night well before that, but for some reason when she smiled, not because she just wanted to, but because I was playing with her and I actually made her smile.... it made everything TOTALLY worth it. Until then, I hate to say... I did not really enjoy being a mom.