Tuesday, September 30

Feeding Taelyn #3

Again, thanks to everyone for your comments on feeding Taelyn. The vote is even, but as her parents, the final call is ours. My sister-in-law summed up my thoughts perfectly. It is a matter of respect. I am now a parent. My father needs to respect me and my decisions in this new role. I just feel that she isn't even 5 months old yet, and still too young to have junk food. Foods need to be slowly introduced so that her little body can adjust. Jumping from only breast milk to oreos/fries/pumpkin chocolate chip cookies is not a good idea. And 'tastes' of food, though not harmful, can complicate the process. I understand his desire to be there when she experiences new things. We can make this possible, on my terms.

Everyone that suggested she was ready for cereal was exactly right. We gave her her first mixed bottle on the 23rd. It took a few days to find out the mix that works best for her, but I think we found it. Sunday night she slept 8 hours straight. It was great! Well, almost. I woke up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I don't know what I picked up, but it wasn't good. I finally took a shower and was able to get to sleep around 6. I stayed home sick Monday. Fever, chills, major headache, eyes sensitive to light, neck pain, back ache, runny nose, itchy throat... But last night was marvelous. We all got 7 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

4 comments:

Fig said...

This is how I know I'm not ready for parenting. 7.5 hours of sleep is MARVELOUS? I'm barely functioning when I get less than 8. Sheesh.

Good decision on the Oreos and stuff. Grandpa will come around.

Fig said...

Have to add, though, that I'm one of the ones who voted for "relax and let him feed her". Sorry! Mama knows best.

Tamaran said...

That's okay. Jon voted "relax and let him feed her", too! He said "explain your expectations" wasn't realistic.

Julie said...

I've got mixed feelings on the issue, but have little to no experience with children, babies in particular. Good for you for sticking to your guns on this one though, I'm not sure what I would do. Good thing I don't have to deal with it right now.

I'm sad to hear that you were/are sick. That is never, never fun. I hope you are feeling better soon!