Friday, February 27

Bike-A-Thon 2009

So this is the third annual biking competition in our office. We started earlier than usual because Charlie was excited to get it underway. There are 10 participants this year. In 2007, I 'participated', meaning my name was on the tracking sheet but school made it difficult to ride. In 2008 I was again on the list, but maternity leave helped me justify not ever riding. Well, I actually rode yesterday. It was awesome! It felt good to ride. I haven't really been on my bike for any amount of time since my mission. Brought back a lot of good memories, and some not-so good ones (like the time the tow truck ran me off the road and down a rocky hill). Ah, memories.

Anyway, Jon dropped Tae off yesterday so I could ride on my own and scope out our route. There are only 2 blocks that don't have a bike lane. I've also figured out how to avoid having to cross traffic. I was a little worried about how many garbage cans and parked cars were in the bike lane... Next week I'm going to hook up the bike trailer and bring Tae with me. I'm a little excited and a little nervous, too. Reminds me a little of when we came home from the hospital with Taelyn. I was terrified that some idiot was going to hit my car and hurt my baby. We'll be so much more vulnerable and people in the city aren't very friendly to cyclists. I did get the brightest trailer I could find. I would still like to add a flag and a taillight to the trailer before we ride on Monday.

Back to the Bike-A-Thon, ranking as of today: Jenni-three-rides, Charlie-two-rides, and Tamaran-one-ride. The funniest thing is that is how we refer to each other at work! We are the only three that rode in February. We'll see what March brings. Hopefully many beautiful riding days!

5 comments:

Fig said...

What a fun idea! You are my hero for being a biker; I've NEVER been able to get into it. Even when I was in the best shape of my life a few years ago, I could barely pedal up a (gentle) incline without dying. Good luck bike-a-thonning!

Meadow said...

I was going to offer to let you borrow my trailer, but then I forgot, but it sounds like you got one.

My advice is to get the helmet on Tae before you actually ride, let her wear it around the house for a bit, so you don't have the freakout the first time she tries it on. Also, always make her look up when you clip it because it sucks to clip baby-neck in the helmet.

Good luck. The trailer is tough! Maybe I will get mine out so Hazel and I can ride this weekend...

Tamaran said...

Fig, I've only ridden once. Wait until I hit 20 or something before you let me be your hero.

Meadow, good advice! I wouldn't have thought of either...and I definitely don't want to clip baby-neck. The thought of it makes me want to cry.

Jenni said...

Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides! Jenni-3-Rides!
mwa ha ha ha.
Man, I am AWESOME!

Nicole said...

That's way neato that you're going to be riding with Tae. I'm sure she'll love it and you'll both have a great time. :)
If you want, you could come over and play with me on my Wii Fit too. But only if you want. :)