Thursday, November 5

Prepping for the RS Cooking Class Tonight

We are making rolls tonight. For the first time, we are holding it at my house. Prep consisted of cleaning, baking, and cleaning again. The clean up afterward wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I had remembered that my mom's roll dough recipe is ALREADY DOUBLED!!

I knew that she always doubles her recipe. I was excited that my new Bosch would hold a doubled batch (my old mixer didn't). Then I doubled her already doubled recipe. Note to self: my new Bosch does not hold a quadrupled batch! Tae cried when liquid flour/water mess started seeping out around the lid, all over the counter top, down the front of the dishwasher, and onto the step stool she was standing on. She loves to help cook, but she is a clean freak and momma is a messy cook-especially when I do stupid things like this. The situation got worse when I found out that I had enough flour for a doubled recipe-or even a tripled recipe-but not for a doubled-double batch.

To make a long story slightly shorter, like happens all-too-often around here, Jon swooped in and saved the day. He left his meeting and ran to the store to get me flour (and powdered milk, shortening and sugar because my massive amount of dough used every bit we had and I need more for tonight). He then came home and stayed up with me until 1:00 a.m. baking and cleaning. When all was said and done, we found out that a quadrupled batch of roll dough makes: 30 basic dinner rolls, 16 croissants, 12 lucky clovers, 6 fan-tans, 6 clover leafs (or is it leaves? I really don't know on this one), and a large loaf of bread that we made in a desperate attempt to get rid of the last of the dough.

4 comments:

mike & teresa said...

What a good husband! Its a good think bread freezes!

☆jeff&leawoodland☆ said...

ha ha ha sounds like a crazy filled night! sweet memorys :) and wonderful husband!

Trudy said...

That's a lot of bread! Just think, you won't have to make any more for a long time.

Fig said...

Leaves. :-)

I can't even imagine a quadrupled batch of bread dough. What is that, like 20 cups of flour? Yikes. (Of course, not all recipe batches are the same.)