Thursday, November 5

RS Cooking Class 3

So this happened back on the 10th of September, and I'm just now getting around to posting the recipe. I wish I had an excuse, but I really don't.

One of the reasons I started this class is because there was a lot of interest in learning to make K's bread. For our 3rd class, that is what we did. Wouldn't you know it, K and I were the only ones in attendance. Goes to show you never really know if anybody is going to show up.

I did learn some tips from K that I never knew. If you place plastic wrap over your dough when letting it rise, it actually helps the yeast. Also, if you like a crispier crust, remove bread from pan immediately after baking; if you like a softer crust, leave it in the pan to cool.

Basic White Bread

1/2 c low-fat milk
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 c warm water (105-115 degrees F)
5-6 c all-purpose flour

Place milk, sugar, salt and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. DO NOT let it boil! Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 1/2 cups flour. Mix about 1 minute. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead about 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Place dough in greased bowl. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll each half into rectangle, approx. 9x14 inches. Starting at a short end, roll dough tightly and pinch dough to seal seam. Pinch ends and turn under, then place, seam side down in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

[K rolls hers out because that is what the recipe says. I'm not a fan of the extra work, so I just formed it the way my mom does basic dinner rolls, except on a much larger scale.]

1 comment:

Fig said...

I'm posting my favorite recipe involving homemade bread later this month ... I just love homemade bread. Nothing else like it. YUM.