Thursday, April 24

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..."

No, I'm not leaving on a jet plane... but my bags finally are packed.
I still claim its not my fault that I'm a procrastinator. I totally blame it on genetics (I'm not going to name names-but I think we all know who I'm referring to-she also happens to be the most amazing mother in the entire world!).

Last Thursday (17th) I started having crazy contractions. They were 5-10 minutes apart. IT FREAKED ME OUT! All I could think was, "please wait, little one, I'm not ready!". That is when I made it my goal to get ready-and fast.

Now, I probably did things in a silly order...but I've kind of had to do things as I feel like I actually want to do them (which is why cleaning is at the bottom of the list).

First step, something for the baby to sleep in. Friday night mom and Taryn came out. They brought 'the cradle'. I'm so excited to use the cradle for little Taelyn. It was the cradle my mom used for me (and each sibling after). We still need to pick up the crib from Kirstine, but at least we have something for the first little bit.

Second step, organizing all of the baby stuff we have been given. Tuesday I wasn't feeling well, so I took a sick day. Instead of resting, I decided I needed to prep. Jon was worried about me, so he stayed home also. We got a ton accomplished. We didn't have a dresser for the baby, so we went and bought 4 of those nifty clear plastic drawers (ideal for the small 1 bedroom apartment we are still in). We also washed all of the baby clothes. We were then able to organize all of the baby items in the drawers. I had hoped that I could go through things and organize while Jon reorganized the bedroom to make room for the drawers and the cradle...but he was having so much fun going through clothes with me, that I couldn't make him do the boring part while I did the fun stuff!
Third step, pack for the hospital. When my contractions started last Thursday, this was the one that freaked me out the most...yet, I still put it off... We had started packing on Monday, but finally finished it up last night. We made copies of my relaxation CD's, as well as the scripts that we have from our birthing class. That way we can pack them, and still use the copies before she comes. Fourth step, cleaning... This is by far my least favorite subject. I've been doing some forced nesting. I completely cleaned the kitchen (out of necessity-not some crazy, unexplainable urge to do so). Every surface shines. I also scrubbed the tub, but the rest of the bathroom still needs done. The bedroom needs done so that we can move all of the baby stuff out of the living room. The hardest part of the bedroom was going through the 3 boxes that we hadn't unpacked from our last move (ya, I know, its been 1 1/2 years...its that darn genetic procrastination again!). Jon started this process on Saturday. We went through all of the boxes, dividing most of it up between the garbage pile and the DI pile.

So much to do and so little energy! I'm still working full-time at the county. By the time I get home, I really don't feel like I have the energy that I need to finish up. I guess I'll just keep plugging at it a little at a time. Luckily, our apartment is so small. It may get dirty quickly, but it also cleans up almost as quickly...almost.

Fifth step, drop off spare key. Travis and Melissa asked if they could help with anything. We really didn't have anything. They asked if they could have a spare key so that if we got to the hospital and needed anything, they could pick it up and run it down. This is Step 5 for a reason. I wouldn't willingly give anyone a key to my apartment in the chaotic state it is in at this moment!

So, steps 1-3 are complete. Steps 4 still needs a little help...then-and only then-can we move on to step 5. Almost there. And its a darn good thing because the chain is diminishing. 11 days left.

In theory, of course. All in theory.

1 comment:

Us Lochers said...

I hoped you packed plenty of comfy clothes for the hospital. Also, I still looked 8 months pregnant when I left the hospital... that was disappointing. So make sure you take stretchy & comfy clothes.